Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Walking in the Light

After the service the next Sunday, we stayed around for a while and asked some questions. My conscience was still bothered by the way I was dressing, so I asked some questions regarding the clothes I saw the women wearing. I also asked why they wore “that thing on their heads?” Bro D. just opened up the Bible and showed me what the Bible said about the veiling and modest clothing. He said” Read these scriptures and tell me what they say.” So I read it, and it very clearly said that women should dress modestly, and cover their head when they pray or prophesy - period. It was so simple and easy to see that it meant just what it said. I got my answers straight from the Bible. He didn’t give me any answers out of any theology books or bible help books; he just showed me the scriptures. He said” God wouldn’t tell us to do something that we couldn’t do, and that’s what we believe so we do what the Bible says”.

The next couple of weeks were sort of an awakening period for the two of us. Neither one of us had ever seen what we were seeing in the Bible before, nor had we ever been taught that the bible should be taken literally and obeyed. Bro D. said that if we had a question about anything in the Bible, we need to look up all the verses that pertain to the subject of our question and read all the context that the verses are in. That way we would be rightly dividing the Word of God, not just taking the verse that fits our view or what we think that it should mean. So that is what we did. My boyfriend started to make changes before I thought that I needed to. He cut his hair short, started getting rid of his trendy clothes, threw out his magazines and got rid of his TV and cds. When he did this, I was still thinking about a lot of things and hadn’t really made any changes myself. So I was thinking” Wait a minute!! Why are you getting rid of everything? There is nothing wrong with those things!!” He talked with me about it and told me “All of these things have separated me from God, and I don’t want them anymore because they will never bring me closer to God, but will distract me from Him.” I really thought about what he said and saw that it was the same case in my own life. So I had some changes to make.

No comments: