Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Getting rid of my clothes

I had been thinking mostly about the clothes that I wore and knew that God wanted me to change. So I started to study about modesty.

I never knew that modesty applied to clothing. I thought that it was like being shy or embarrassed. When I did realize that it had something to do with clothing and the way you dress, I thought that I was modest because I didn’t wear the skimpiest thing that I could find, and I was embarrassed to be seen in a swim suit most of my life. But when I saw what the Bible said about modesty I realized what it wasn’t. It isn’t just covering up you body so that your skin doesn’t show( you can do that by wearing a spandex cat suit that is skin tight, or by wearing skin tight jeans with a tight long sleeve turtle neck) but that it is dressing in a way that hides the shape and doesn’t draw attention from the opposite sex. Modest clothing does not fit tightly to accent the parts of the body that attract others, but hangs loosely and covers the body to conceal those parts.

When I realized this, jeans and pants were out of the question, since they are specifically made to accent certain areas, plus they are made to be tight fitting. All the clothes I had were completely immodest by definition so I got rid of almost all my clothes. I knew that I needed to wear dresses or skirts and loose shirts, but I had a real hard time finding any at all the stores I looked at. So it took me a long time to get some modest clothing. I actually had to have some made to fit the definition of what I saw in the bible. The bible doesn’t say exactly to dress in this sort of clothing, this color, this length etc... Rather it gives the reasons for dressing in that way and lets the reader decide what to where according to the reasons. Some people may argue that “I can wear pants and still be modest”. And I agree that some pants could be modest, but let me ask you this. When you go to a public restroom and are looking for the right one, does the picture on the girl’s bathroom have a girl wearing pants or a dress? Even society has separated boys and girl’s clothing in the correct manner! I hope that that would answer the pants question. So once I started to do what the Bible said in that matter, it was as though someone was shinning a light on the next step ahead on the path that I was beginning to walk on.

No comments: