Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Ugly Brown Cup group

We left a little while after the service and my boyfriend and I were discussing what we thought about it on the way home. At this point, I was not really interested in going back. I thought that maybe they were some sort of cult, and I also did not like the way my conscience was bothering me while I was there. My boyfriend thought that they dressed kind of strange, but he told me” I’ve been in churches all my life and all of them were like the beautiful, golden goblets decorated with jewels in the Indiana Jones 3 movie. They looked beautiful on the outside but on the inside they were just dead and the same as every other church. These people are different; they are like the brown wooden cup that no one would look for. These people are the Ugly Brown Cup group!” When he said this, I knew exactly what he meant. I too had been involved in all different kinds of churches, and they were all the same. They all had the same message, and the same product from that message.

These people were unlike any group that called themselves a “church”. They had something that was real to them, and you could tell that it permeated every part of their lives. We decided to go back the next Sunday to investigate what that something was. We thought that if they were a cult, they would be doing things that were not in the bible, like handling snakes or bringing harm to themselves or others. We had grown up knowing about people like David Cirecsh and how he, and others that started cults, told their followers that they had revelations from God, or would twist the scripture to mean something that they wanted it to mean (most of these groups were not allowed to even read the Bible except for the leader) or called themselves God, or had some kind of knowledge of the future that no one else had etc. So we knew that if it was a cult, things like that would show up. So we went back the next week.

No comments: