Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Life changing choices

When I was 22, I moved into an apartment by myself. I was still holding down the same jobs in the restaurants and bars that I had worked in for the past 3 years. It was at this time that I went through a very lonely and dark depression. I would cry myself to sleep a lot. I hadn’t had a boyfriend for about 1 year, and I felt very lonely since everyone else around me was in a relationship. That Christmas, my parents gave me a bible. It sat in the box that it came in for about 2 months. One night, I decided to take it out and try to read it. I didn’t even know where the New Testament was, so I started in Genesis. When I looked at the words on the page, it was like they were written in some unknown language. I couldn’t even read through the first chapter. So I put it back in the box and it stayed there until 2 years later.



I had decided to move in with a friend to save money when I was 24. The year before, I had made a trip out to San Diego, California to visit my brother who had moved there a few years before. When I was there I made the choice to move there by the next summer. So when I came back, I moved out of my apartment and moved in with my friend. He needed help with rent. One day, about 6 months after I moved in he came home with a friend that I vaguely remembered meeting before. He was younger than me by about 4 years and had a girlfriend at the time. I saw him from time to time over the next 2 months. Then my roommate suggested one day that I date his friend. I said” No way! He’s too young for me, and besides, he has a girlfriend”. My friend then told me that they had broken up. So the next time I saw him, I thought about what my friend had said. We ended up becoming friends, this turned into a relationship beyond friendship. I struggled with the decision I had made about moving to San Diego that summer, because I didn’t want to break off the relationship. He asked me to take a trip with him to New York to visit his sister, and I decided to take the money I had saved to move to California and spend it on the trip to New York. It was final that I was not moving.

No comments: